What is ‘calcaneal apophysitis’ and who does it affect?
– Pain in the calcaneus (heel) during and after activity in young children
– Theory of traction on calcaneal growth plate due to activity, biomechanics and rapid growth
– Commonly affects boys of ages 8-15, and girls 8-13
– Heavier, taller and more active children
– Tight calf muscles (bony growth > muscle)
(Sources: Wiegerinck 2016, James et al. 2013 and 2016, Ranponi & baker 2019)
Is your child experiencing this painful issue? Consult with our resident Podiatrist professional Aaron Gregory today!
To book an appointment, phone: (08) 9379 3838