Rebecca is a Diploma qualified Remedial Massage Therapist who has had the pleasure of treating her clients at The Wellness Place since April 2012. She often jokes that her title should be “Lifestyle Maintainer”; as so many with muscle soreness, tension or stress come to her for a fix up after work, sport, stress, gardening and renovations. Or they’re feeling so good after their massage that they’re ready to go and do it all again!
While she gets much satisfaction being able to help get her patients out of immediate pain, Rebecca is most fulfilled in equipping people long term with the skills to manage their own issues. Checking in regularly for a maintenance massage to help manage their physical and mental tension is one component of their overall self-care, and one that many people enjoy and look forward to. Time between treatments may be shortened or lengthened as needed.
Rebecca offers the following services:
- Pregnancy Massage (Healthcare provider’s clearance required for 1st Trimester).
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (for swelling, bruising and uncomplicated Lymphedema)
- Myofascial Dry Needling (Using Acupuncture needles on Musculoskeletal pressure points)
- Myofascial Release / stretching of the connective tissue – beneficial for whiplash injuries and longstanding muscle imbalances/tightness
- Focus work for headaches and neck pain using a combination of trigger points, massage, dry needling and stretching of the full neck, shoulders, face, jaw and scalp – don’t underestimate the impact of a good scalp massage!
- Assist you in getting to know your muscles and how they respond to stress and tension, and empowering you to manage and relax your own body
- Suggesting stretches/exercises that can be done as part of your day-to-day activities to minimise the impact on your time
- Working with patients under the direction of their Chiropractor, Physio or healthcare provider
- Providing information on other services, practitioners, posture and exercises to compliment your treatment and/or condition. Many people find regular exposure to positive health messages and support of their progress beneficial to their motivation in making positive changes in their lives.
*Treatments predominantly non-remedial in nature are not eligible for Private Health Care rebates.
Patients that would benefit from receiving a Remedial Massage from Rebecca include:
- Truck Drivers, Police and Ambulance Officers, Office Workers, Mechanics, FIFO, Boiler-makers, Mums with young children, Cross-Fit Athletes and Sports-people and Students
- People who are going through a period of stress or grief who need some self-care, compassion and a listening ear
- People who want an hour or so free from chatter and responsibilities
Rebecca is also certified in Thai Yoga Massage, training for 4 weeks at the International Massage School in Thailand to be able to offer you this amazing massage style. It is quite different from a ‘regular’ massage, being traditionally performed fully clothed (minus shoes) on a large mat on the floor; and is stretching and pressure point based.
Thai Massage is perfect for anyone who:
- is chronically tight and achy, particularly in the lower back.
- has a large build or is overweight and wishes to stretch out and fully relax in an open space.
- doesn’t do enough stretching and needs to lie back (it’s nicknamed “Lazy Man’s Yoga” for a reason!)
- is uncomfortable with undressing for massage.
- has trouble switching off – many find the rhythmic movement very relaxing. The traditional pressure points are based on energy meridian lines similar to Traditional Chinese Massage.
- does a lot of exercise/sporting activities and want to maintain their flexibility and prevent injury
On a personal note…
Rebecca spent a number of years training to be a pilot in the Royal Australian Air Force. Her flying career ended prematurely when she medically discharged due to suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This has provided her with a unique empathy for those working in a high-tempo or military environment, going through the loss of a job or identity; suffering with long term pain and illness, chronic pain and illness, depression/anxiety and PTSD.
The silver lining however, has been her requalification in massage and her interest in all things health and wellness related, and the journey towards being pain and stress free.
Rebecca has a toddler with her Police Officer husband. She often has a laugh with clients discussing the ins and outs of Police and public service life – and life in general! She enjoys catching up on how her clients have been progressing, and is honoured to accompany them through their ups and downs.
To ensure the room is set up correctly for your appointment, please advise reception at time of booking if you would like Thai or Pregnancy Massage. At least 30/60 minutes is required for Pregnancy/Thai massage respectively, however at least 60/90 minutes is recommended for the best results. Please wear quick to remove footwear to your appointment, and flexible comfortable (yoga-style) clothing for your Thai massage.
The techniques Rebecca uses and the ways she can treat any condition are quite diverse, and may vary from person to person and from one treatment to the next. It is important to specify what you are wanting (or not wanting) from a treatment, or let her know during the massage if it is not meeting your expectations, as everyone is so different. Rebecca would be horrified to know her patients have left not feeling like their needs were met.